Lake Simcoe Protection Plan Recommendations
- Amend the LSPP to require the establishment of natural cover targets in each subwatershed by 2020;
- Amend the LSPP to state that Low Impact Development should be a mandatory requirement for all new or re-development in the watershed;
- Amend the LSPP to state that phosphorus offsetting should be required of all new development or re-development in the watershed;
- Amend the LSPP to include staging policies to require that development needs to be phased based on demonstrated results from the monitoring program required under the LSPP;
- LSPP guidance should be augmented by requiring LSPP decision-makers to have regard to the ecological diversity and function that undeveloped land will provide in the future.
Lake Simcoe Protection Plan Implementation Recommendations
- Due to the significance of patch size, it is of utmost importance to protect and maintain the 25 hectare plus patches mapped as High Quality Natural Cover using a three pronged approach:
- Identify and ground truth the quality of the natural features;
- Put them in Official Plans (maps, definitions, and supportive lower-tier zoning);
- Support non-policy initiatives and land trusts that protect features within the 25 hectare patches that do not meet the criteria for protection.